Noah is building Potion
, a Notion-powered site builder. I have a lot of empathy for his question. I’ve wondered if a lifetime deal could work for plzdm.me.
What can you gain from selling lifetime deals on sites like AppSumo? Tons of exposure, lots of new customers, and cash in the bank. It can be a great alternative to raising VC if you know what you’re doing.
You must know your numbers. If you’re off by a little bit, it can be catastrophic. Bad pricing can be grim, but bad lifetime pricing is fatal.
Mispriced monthly plan
- committed to providing service for one month at a loss
- can tweak pricing for each new cohort
- has a capped downside
Mispriced lifetime plan
- committed to providing service at a loss forever
- pricing is fixed for the entire group that joins during your deal
- has unlimited downside potential
Mispriced lifetime deals are bad debt.
So why am I launching plzdm.me with one? My costs are pretty low.
- Free tier of Twitter API
- Free tier of Supabase.io
- $20/mo on Vercel for hosting
- $12/yr domain name
Those are my only costs at the moment (Supabase will be paid after the beta is over).